[TowerTalk] How to apply lube to HDX589

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 13 12:20:14 EDT 2013

On 6/13/13 8:41 AM, Steve Dyer wrote:
> K7LXC breaks the prime directive for lubricating crank-up cables. He sells Prelube 6 on his site and recommends using it. And yes, any professional user of wire rope always lubricates their cables on a regular maintenance/inspection schedule.
> It baffles me why anyone would not lube the cable with the *proper* lubricant since the cable is THE critical link in a crank-up.
> It's a testament to how well the cable holds up that more failures haven't occurred. That and it's way over-sized to the load.

Well, if you were planning to follow the manufacturer's replacement
schedule, and the initial lube lasts three years, why spend the time,
money, and effort doing annual lube jobs?

I think what you're really getting at is:
Why would anyone not lube it at least occasionally during the 20-30
years that the ham owns it.  I suspect that's a more realistic
representation of operating life and maintenance.