[TowerTalk] When To Replace Tower Cable???

Julio Peralta jperalta4 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 14 17:26:36 EDT 2013

Steve I wonder how close to a salt water environment you are. Here in the
Tampa Florida area I've seen several very rusted cables (including guy
wires). Many years ago I had a 72' UST fall due to a rusted cable that was
about 5 years old. That tower was installed about 30 miles inland from the
Gulf of Mexico. The reason I didn't notice the cable was in such bad shape
is that only the two upper cables were badly rusted and only on the side of
the tower that faced the Gulf which was the opposite side of where I stood
when I operated the switch to lower/raise the tower.

I also have worked on a UST on the East coast that fell for the same reason.

Julio, W4HY