[TowerTalk] Tower Replacement - what would you do?

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 19 20:43:35 EDT 2013

Partial loads can save money but you don't always get to specify WHEN it will be picked up and delivered. It didn't work out for me.

My TX472 was in Porterville, CA.  I needed to have it shipped ca 1000 miles north to Everett, WA.  I tried to deal with the shipper that US Tower uses/used but they tripped my BS detector.  So, I took the advice of a friend and listed it on uship.com.  It's like eBay except the bids go DOWN. It wound-up costing me about $1/mile and the shipper was a semi-retired fellow with a pickup truck and a longer car hauler trailer.  He's based in Montrose, CO.  Ping on me privately if you want his contact info or, just list it on uship.

Shippers won't load/unload.  In my case, the seller had access to a forklift to load it.  I contracted with a local towing company to unload it and set it in my yard.  I then used homebrew "trucks" to move it into my backyard.  See my Flickr page for  http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower for photos and text.

Bryan WA7PRC

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 07:46:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: K7LXC

> 2. Has anyone worked out a way to save shipping costs from Tashjian? For example, if two or more people from the same geographical region (or on thepath to Tashjian's facility?) ordered towers, they could hire or take theirown truck and trailer.

There are websites that'll give you shipping quotes - some of which will be more reasonable.

Cheers & GL,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH