[TowerTalk] Rotor problems and guy replacement

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jun 28 15:49:36 EDT 2013

On 6/28/2013 11:30 AM, ni3p at comcast.net wrote:

> Help!  My friendly manager at Ham Radio Outlet recommended you guys as the best place for good advice ...
>

> I have a  problem with my HF antenna system.  It is a Rohn 25 tower at 50 feet; the one antenna is a Force 12 C3 seven element beam.  My rotor is a Yaesu G-800DXA. The cable has been there for about 25 years, the antenna about six years, and the rotor about four years.
>

> The problem is with the Yaesu rotor system.  For the last few months, it does not appear to be operating properly.  The symptoms are
>
> ~ It turns very slowly, and seems to "pulse" rather than rotating smoothly;
>
> ~ the speed control seems to have no effect, and the pre-set control does not work.

There are several issues here that may or may not be related.
1. Rotation speed varies
2. Presets do not work.
3. It has little torque (stops with any interference)

as # 2 and 3 combined would indicate the likely hood of a problem
located in the control unit, I'd start by measuring the output voltage
at the control box, that drives the rotator.

With multiple symptoms, check to see if they are related.
With DC rotators, check to see if the control is putting out the desired
voltage.

Check easy stuff first

73,

Roger (K8RI)