[TowerTalk] Large Tower Base

Robert Morris robrk at nidhog.net
Wed Mar 6 23:05:38 EST 2013

On Mar 6, 2013, at 9:33 PM, Wilson Lamb wrote:

Lots of wasted bandwidth here!
Patrick is obviously one of the very few among us with knowhow and resources to get outside the box!
---------
I’d agree, however, that the proposed foundation piers sound a little small.

The last little tower I had anything to do with did not use just piers. I forget exact numbers, so I'll make up stuff.

The 340' self support, Rohn SS base leg spread was 36'. A 40' something foot square hole was dug, 15' or more deep.

A rebar box cage filled the bottom 3 or 4 feet, tied into three vertical cages up to grade. "Sono" tubes were placed over the

vertical cages and 40 some yards of concrete later. Don't think just piers in a hole......

http://www.sonotube.com/products.aspx