[TowerTalk] Whole House Generator was: Re: Low RFI diesel generator?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Mar 27 08:08:04 EDT 2013

We have a 14KW Generac on awhole house auto transfer switch with smart
load shedding.  It will shed the AC if something else is starting up
that needs the current.  Our house is very INefficient, we have electric
hot water, a well pump and a forced air furnace, so there are lots of
start-up loads.  At the moment we are just set up to shed AC, but we
could shed the water heater for a few bux more.  Through last summer's
4-day outage,  I don't think it had to shed load once.

We thought about the 10 KW and 20 KW options, but went with the 14 KW
because the cost increase over 10 was trivial once the rest of the
system was specified.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,