[TowerTalk] Grounding HDX-555

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 5 20:58:04 EDT 2013

On 5/5/13 4:06 PM, Steve Jones wrote:
> US Tower provided me a grounding diagram with my tower.  It was two 8'
> ground rods with #2 copper conductors.  The local California county building
> dept. had me add a Ufer ground to by connecting a #2 copper wire to the
> rebar cage and bringing it out below grade to the two ground rods.  Not sure
> if this would be good enough for West TX.

*below grade*?? That's pretty unusual.  What county?

California's State Electrical Code (Title 24) which is basically the NEC
with some changes, requires concrete encased grounding electrodes (aka
Ufer grounds) for virtually all applications.  You might have additional
grounding electrodes (e.g. water pipes, rods, etc.) , but they're going
to want you to bond those to the Ufer ground.

History shows that lots of "rod only" or "cold water pipe" grounds
eventually fail.  The clamp gets loose from temperature cycling or
corrodes off, the pipe is replaced with plastic by the utility, etc. One
of the big advantages of a Ufer ground (other than the fact that it
works really well as a ground) is that it is maintenance free and
doesn't degrade. Once installed, it will last forever.