[TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Sat May 11 11:51:00 EDT 2013

From: TowerTalk [towertalk-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of Jim Brown [jim at audiosystemsgroup.com]
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 10:48 PM
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Grounding of tower

On 5/10/2013 5:57 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
>> Actually, we CANNOT use the EARTH as a conductor for AC power either  --
> the resistance is far too high to carry enough current.
>
> Not true - see my prior post.

>This statement is in conflict both with physical reality AND nearly all
>building codes.

Huh?  Much rural electrification was (and still is) carried out using the earth as a conductor.  Building codes do not apply to electric power distribution and are irrelevant anyway to your assertion that the earth cannot be used as a conductor for AC power due to resistance.

I2R losses are constant for a given current.  Raise the voltage; reduce the current and efficiency rises as the loss decreases.  Or keep current constant; just raise the voltage and efficiency also rises as I2R loss becomes a smaller percentage of the equation.  The whole point of all electrical systems is to deliver power (work), not current.

Al
AB2ZY