[TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 19 14:52:08 EDT 2013

On 5/19/13 11:03 AM, Larry Loen wrote:
> Rescue Tape is recommended here in Arizona, but I have so far had trouble
> getting it to seal as well.
>
> It self-seals very nicely.  The problem is sealing to (e.g.) the coax
> itself or whatever other surface is of interest.  Also difficult IME is the
> very top of the connector.
>
> I still use coax seal (albeit sparingly) in some situations.  For instance,
> a small coating of it just outside of my junction box so that there's no
> leak through the coax cable and grommet that goes into the box (in this
> case, the cable does not enter from the bottom).

So, I realize that we all have boxes of PL259s and SO-239 barrels to
connect with, but why not just use a waterproof connector like N or DIN
7-16, and use no tape/seal/what-have-you?

Just ballparking, looking at the wireman site, PL259s are about $4 each
(for middle of the line).  N seems to be about $2 more.  DIN are pretty
pricey ($20+ it seems)

I can see the concerns about the tiny center pin on an N at high powers,
but it's not that much smaller than the old PL-259, and both are larger
than the center conductor in 0.405" coax like RG-8/RG-213.

0.157" for PL-259 pin vs 0.120" for N center pin vs RG-8/RG-213 AWG13
center conductor at 0.072".  The N has a stepped center pin: the
skinnier center pin is more of a locator, the actual center conductor is
0.120" all the way through, and if properly mated, very little current
will flow in the center pin (skin effect and all that).

And, yes, installing an N is a big trickier than a UHF, especially if
you want it to be waterproof.  And, it's easier to screw up the
interface parts on the N, so it won't give you a nice match to 18 GHz or
whatever, but I think even hosed up, it's probably better than the UHF.

And if you're not worried about impedance matching (which UHF connectors
aren't), then a waterproof NEMA twist lock might actually be better bet.
  The connector isn't all that long, so how much of a bump in VSWR are
you really going to get?  (you would want to avoid a plug/receptacle
configuration that is intermateable with any AC power at your location).

(of course, actual tests I've seen on the web of UHF connectors on a VNA
show not so wonderful performance at 400 MHz, but pretty decent down at
30 MHz (as in RL better than -20dB)

In any case, you've got non-coaxial paths as soon as you get to the
physical antenna, and nobody is going to claim that the two wires coming
out of any of a variety of baluns used at the feed of a yagi are some
sort of constant impedance line (esp since the Yagi probably has a
feedpoint impedance MUCH lower than any practical parallel line).  As
with the PL-259, or using an AC plug, or binding posts, the length of
the discontinuity is a very tiny fraction of a wavelength.