[TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun May 19 15:09:40 EDT 2013

On 5/19/2013 1:49 PM, Steve Sacco NN4X wrote:

> I strongly dislike Coax Seal, for all the reasons cited.

There are many reasons cited, but the have all been cosmetic.  IE: You
can tell the connector has been used (so what) and it may or may not
look like crap depending on the amount of coax seal left behind.

Myself, I don't normally use Coax Seal. I use flooded heat shrink, which
has a layer of "hot melt glue" on the inside.  This adds a great deal of
strength to UHF and particularly, "N" type connectors if extended onto
the coax for about 2 or 3 inches.  The 3M heat shrink tube is fairly
heavy strength. A splice of "N" type connectors will support my weight
(over 170# back then) linearly.  Try that with just a normal weather
proofed splice using coax seal, electrical, mastic, or the Silicone
tape.  Those are all good weatherproofing, but add little strength.

Now if you don't like the looks of the hot melt glue residue, wipe on a
very thin layer of silicone grease. Very thin and do not get it on the
jacket. Nothing sticks to this stuff.  If you can see the grease there's
too much. You only want a film!

To put it bluntly it can make adding coax seal a real bitch! Tape too.
  With tape ( weather seal, mastic, or electrical)start the application
back about 3 inches on the coax jacket and make sure it's stuck to the
jacket. Don't let any of the grease get on your hands or tape, anywhere
other than where it touches the connectors.

BTW it's not a good idea to hang "N: type connectors vertically without
a loop at the connector.  The weight of the center conductor for a 100
foot run up the tower will slowly pull down on the center pin of the
connector until it may make a poor connection. Manufacturers warn about
this some where deep in the info sheet where most are unlikely to ever
see it.    This has caused many a difficult to find problem. In a run
from the tower to a sloping dipole is another bad location for splices.
Remember what strength those connectors are rated for. It ain't much!

But no one has answered my question.  Why don't many of you like coax
seal?  If it's just because you don't like the looks then say so, but
mechanically and electrically what does it hurt.?

Actually even in Steve's case, where it got "into" the connectors it's
unlikely to hurt anything.

In some cases I've even filled connectors with DC-4 or DC-5 dielectric
grease.  Other than being a lower viscosity there is little difference.
The one possible outcome in Steve's case would be preventing a good
electrical connection because the stuff is tenacious. If the center pin
makes full penetration it should still make a good electrical
connection.  A TDR would tell for sure.

One last note. Unlike grease, the old motto: "The bigger the gob the
better the job" does not hold true when weatherproofing.  A quality wrap
is much better than a massive wrap.

OTOH I still don't understand why hams complain about coax seal sticking
to the connectors. What does it hurt?

73

Roger  (K8RI)