[TowerTalk] Coax Seal yea or nay?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun May 19 15:55:16 EDT 2013

On 5/19/2013 12:09 PM, K8RI wrote:

> BTW it's not a good idea to hang "N: type connectors vertically
> without a loop at the connector.  The weight of the center conductor
> for a 100 foot run up the tower will slowly pull down on the center
> pin of the connector until it may make a poor connection.
> Manufacturers warn about this some where deep in the info sheet where
> most are unlikely to ever see it.    This has caused many a difficult
> to find problem. In a run from the tower to a sloping dipole is
> another bad location for splices. Remember what strength those
> connectors are rated for. It ain't much!

I've seen that happen, Roger. Luckily it was in the shack at the end of
a long run of 9913. I wouldn't use an N connector unless the center pin
was captured by the connector body, especially with 9913 which is
probably the absolute worst choice for cable when using a non-captive
center conductor.

73, Mike W4EF................