[TowerTalk] Crank Up Tower Identification Help

WK1W Ivan Shapiro WK1W at ivanshapiro.com
Tue May 21 08:05:06 EDT 2013

To SHANE KI4M

Shane:
I have a US Tower 589 MDPL.
Your tower sure looks like US Tower.
Some identical features.
Email me (email on qrz.com) off reflector and I'll send some pictures.
Ivan
WJ1W

On May 20, 2013, at 18:10 , Shane Autrey KI4M wrote:

I spoke with the folks at U.S. Towers at Dayton this year and they said the
tower that I have acquired is a Tri-Ex and not theirs. Former Tri-Ex
employees say this tower is not a Tri-Ex and is more than likely a U.S.
Tower. The dimensions are exactly the same as the current production TX-489
they make. The section face dimensions etc match up perfectly. That being
said this tower has a home made folding base on it that will be disposed of
as it is just pure crap. This tower has a couple of mounting points on it
one for a motorized winch (missing when purchased) and one for what appears
to be a hinge point a bit further up the tower face. I took some photos of
the entire tower and they aren't the best quality. I should take delivery of
the tower in the next few weeks. An old friend called me to let me know he
had purchased it for scrap metal weight. Such a nice tower didn't deserve to
be melted down. As photographed he said the tower weighed on his scales a
little less than 1600 lbs. It is obviously a 5 section crank up and again
outside face dimensions are exactly the same as the current production
TX-489.

Anyone know what a model # for this
thing would be? Any idea as to why it doesn't have any mounting flanges
welded to the bottom of the three legs? They haven't been removed they
appear to have never been there. I would like to use this tower and have it
installed properly but the lack of information is beginning to pile up! It
will obviously need recabled and a new winch but the mounting base has me
most perplexed. I can't help but wonder if it was on a tower trailer but
still lack of flanges is perplexing to me.

Photos at the link below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67862339@N02/

Shane KI4M