[TowerTalk] 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline stored outside in New

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Wed May 29 23:20:07 EDT 2013

Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 10:32:08 -0600
From: William Hein <bill.aa7xt at gmail.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline stored outside in New
England for 5 years - still good?

I have some 1-5/8 inch Andrew Hardline (LDF7-50A) which has been stored outside in New England for 5 years - is it still good and if not can it be rehabilitated?  I didn't expect to leave it outside this long (life intervenes in ones plans from time to time) and am pondering whether its worth the effort to ship it 2000 miles to Colorado and reinstall at my new station.

This particular cable would be direct buried for use on HF primarily (I have other cable for VHF).

73
Bill

##  It would be good for a lot longer than 5 years... provided you weather proofed  BOTH ends.  The usual deal is to use the heavy duty heat shrink caps made for juts that purpose.
When I bought a roll of LMR –1200DB....  I had em install 4 inch long heat shrink end caps on both ends, before winding onto the big wooden  drum.

##  Even if the last 2 to 5 feet  got water in it,  simply chop off six feet from each end...and toss em.   Then install connectors.   Use real ones like  7-16 DIN.
Don’t mess with type N crap..esp with  1 - 5/8 inch heliax.

Jim  VE7RF