[TowerTalk] A quest about Gin Poles

Don Moman VE6JY ve6jy.1 at gmail.com
Thu May 30 17:12:21 EDT 2013

That doesn't compute....  If you truly have 2" OD  x .250 wall you need
just slightly <1.5 " OD to fit inside not 1.750.  The overlap isn't
critical - a foot on either side is fine - but the wall thickness of the
joiner piece certainly is.    I'm not keen about a splice like that in the
center of a gin pole.  I know you likely are trying to make it more
manageable to transport. I have a similar breakdown pole but I use 1.5 IPS
pipe (1.9 od) for the top section, sleeved into 2" IPS pipe (2.375 od, just
> 2 " id) all sked 40.  That gives the benefit of having a bigger OD where
it is needed the most.

73 Don
VE6JY