[TowerTalk] 40 meter antenna project

Scott scottw3tx at verizon.net
Tue Nov 5 19:40:39 EST 2013

Hi Gary,

Having done many 3 element and larger 40m Yagis myself, my opinion is that
the 40-2CD hardware will not be strong enough to be converted to a
"lasting" 3 element 40m Yagi. It can be done, but I fear it won't last.

In your situation I would convert at least one of the 40-2CD's to a W6NL
Moxon (directions at K3LR.com <http://K3LR.com>). It's a really clever
mechanical and electrical antenna design that has excellent gain, fb, and
swr attributes! If your tower is 120ft or higher I would convert both of
them and (topography depending) stack them at 120ft and 75ft (the bottom
one could be fixed on EU or SouthŠ.or put it on a swinging side-mount to
cover both).

If your tower is lower then consider rotating the 40m Moxon at the top.
And fixing one of the remaining 40m elements much lower for a strong
signal in the US or south.

73, Scott W3TX