[TowerTalk] screw anchors in sandy soil

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 10 12:51:57 EST 2013

On 11/10/13 8:07 AM, Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:
> At that cost...easier and cheaper to pour a sled.
>
> K4XS

Depends on relative cost of concrete, labor, etc. and accessibility.

Screwing in an anchor doesn't disrupt the soil surface much, digging a
pit to hold a 7x4x3 foot block is a fairly big operation, although not
too tough with a backhoe. The concrete and rebar alone would probably be
$400 (if you're buying ready mix at $100/yd).

If you have a vendor come out and install the anchors, you'd have all
three done in less than an hour, although I don't know what it would
cost.  I doubt it's more than a few hundred bucks for the whole job,
though. (plus the cost of the anchors)..
The anchors aren't all that expensive. 8" diameter by 8 foot shaft ones
are around $40-50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzxaANvrY0 shows how it's done

take a look at the driving torques.. thousands of ft-lb
Kids, don't try this at home..