[TowerTalk] screw anchors in sandy soil

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Nov 11 07:24:25 EST 2013

Interesting video! Screw in anchors would be worth considering if you have
access to the equipment to drive them in and the appropriate soil type.
Perhaps there are companies that just do this, however it is likely easier
to find a backhoe and dig a hole for a concrete slab.

John KK9A

Re: [TowerTalk] screw anchors in sandy soil
from [Jim Lux]	[Permanent Link][Original]
To:	towertalk at contesting.com
Subject:	 Re: [TowerTalk] screw anchors in sandy soil

Depends on relative cost of concrete, labor, etc. and accessibility.

Screwing in an anchor doesn't disrupt the soil surface much, digging a pit
to hold a 7x4x3 foot block is a fairly big operation, although not too
tough with a backhoe. The concrete and rebar alone would probably be $400
(if you're buying ready mix at $100/yd).

If you have a vendor come out and install the anchors, you'd have all
three done in less than an hour, although I don't know what it would cost.
I doubt it's more than a few hundred bucks for the whole job, though.
(plus the cost of the anchors).. The anchors aren't all that expensive. 8"
diameter by 8 foot shaft ones are around $40-50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzxaANvrY0 shows how it's done

take a look at the driving torques.. thousands of ft-lb
Kids, don't try this at home..