[TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground

ve4xt at mymts.net ve4xt at mymts.net
Wed Nov 13 16:03:37 EST 2013

Hi Jim

I never tried elevating my HF6V (similar in principle to the 2V), but I'm not surprised by your results.

My HF6V worked OK on the high bands, OK on 40 but was little better than a dummy load on 80.

What you've done by moving it closer to the ground is increase your ground losses considerably, as well as it not being in the clear like before.

Butternut tries to claim its verticals aren't base-loaded, but c'mon. ;-)

In a base-loaded antenna, most of the current is radiated at the coil, so that compounds your losses, too.

If a change of antenna is more possible than a change back to 10-feet elevation, look at a Cushcraft MA8040v.

Mine is no band-killer, but it's a damn sight better than the old Butternut. It is top-loaded.

73, Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone