[TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground

Terrence Redding terry at oltraining.com
Thu Nov 14 09:30:13 EST 2013

As a Novice in 1974 I spent three weeks in a travel trailer with a
stainless steal roof testing antennas. I was primarily interested in CW
on 80 and 40 meters, but also used 15 and 10 meters for daily contact
with various slowspeed CW nets.  I was mostly interested in contacts
from western New York state to Oklahoma.

I put up a fan dipole at 30 feet as a primary and reference antenna and
than started experimenting with a based loaded vertical for the
trailer.  I started with the vertical mounted in water pipe in the yard,
to a mount on the tongue of the trailer and then the side of the
trailer.  In all cases the fan dipole was two to four S units stronger
than the vertical.

Than, I had a metal plate with a flange fabricated that allowed me to
mount the vertical  in the center of the trailer's metal roof. From that
mounting point, having a vertical elevated with a good elevated ground
became the best solution, beating the reference fan dipole by  two and
three S units.  In some cases, especially on 40 meters, the vertical was
at 59 + 10 db, while the fan dipole was at S6 to S7.  I was quite
surprised by the difference.

During the testing, because of changing noise floor, and desire to think
I was making improvements, I found it easy to think the vertical was
better on the tongue of the trailer and side of the trailer, until I
compared it to the fan dipole.  Lesson learned, maintain a reference
antenna - event a tuner fed long wire.  It will allow you to have a
backup antenna, and it will help you make better decisions about changes
to your antenna system.

Terry - W6LMJ