[TowerTalk] HF2V Elevated or On Ground

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Thu Nov 14 17:33:40 EST 2013

Yes, Grant... Very interesting problem.  My building has 10 steel columns, 4
at the corners and 3 along each long wall with one centered and the others
equally spaced.  These are Ufer grounds, more or less. The walls are all
steel as is the roof with no wood in the construction anywhere.  Eave height
is about 18' 6" or a tad more.

The advice I got from the "EXPERTS" at DXE was to just put the wire radials
(insulated) on the roof.

I like the idea of running a relay (or just connecting/disconnecting the
radials) while gathering data points with my antenna analyzer on all the
antenna's bands (7 with the 8th coming soon, a 40M trap to a long wire from
the 24 ft point resonating on 160M.

A good friend (EE with 30+ years ant design experience and Extra class ham
lisc for decades) originally suggested the barn as a counterpoise and to not
worry about radials BUT... he had no hands on experience and was giving his
expert opinion.

When I finish the current tower install I will look into it.

Patrick AF5CK