[TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Nov 27 08:08:15 EST 2013

Roger, Living in a rural area and having barns and out buildings on property
that used to be involved in agriculture is still not a farm in the eyes of
the insurance folks.  If you are involved in agricultural production, even
just leasing pasture for someone else to graze their stock or bale hay you
are a farm and you can't be covered by homeowner insurance.  This is
according to State Farm. It sucks, so says my agent and I agree.

There are various rates depending on the structure(s) in question.  A 4
sided bld with concrete floor is lowest structure rate.  Next is 4 sided bld
of standard construction with dirt floor.  The highest rate is for pole
barns and the like (includes towers.)  If you get your agent to overlook
your agricultural production activities, go with homeowner policy, and then
say a bull runs over a trespassing kid.  Well you have no liability
coverage.  Better to take the risk of the tower out of pocket.

I suggested that my tower had a concrete floor and was not built like a pole
barn and the agent reminded me that pictures of the structure were required.

It is not often that I envy folks living in a hive and constrained by so
many rules but this is one instance, exorbitant rates to insure a tower and
or antenna.  Oh well, I'll just take a two mile hike around the periphery of
the ranch to check the fences and note the nearest neighbor at 1/4 mile
outside the fence, recall that I don't need a permit for anything I do or
build except a septic system and somehow the perspective will come into
better focus.

Patrick AF5CK