[TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Nov 27 02:42:02 EST 2013

On 11/27/2013 1:23 AM, Ray Benny wrote:
> I filed a claim on a wind damaged 2 el 40m yagi years ago in Calif.
> Insurance paid for its replacement, however, my next years home owners
> insurance premium almost doubled! I dumped them and found another
> company that brought the premium back to what I had been paying prior.
>
> Unless the damage is extensive and costly, say the whole tower,
> antenna and rotator, I will not file an insurance claim.

Over the years I've had two antenna claims. Each from different QTHs.
The first was in the 70s and as it happens, I was in the business of
installing TV antennas om the side..Good business until only the two and
3 story houses were left. The other was a ham antenna from here.  Even
the TV antenna was an expensive one. They paid including labor.  Same
for the Tribander just a few years back and no increase in premium.
That would place them about 30 years apart.  They did ask me about the
first one so I explained the difference and time.  However, I'd not
expect that in today's climate.

I do carry a large rider on the towers and antennas.

73

Roger (K8RI)