[TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Nov 27 14:12:26 EST 2013

>  A few years ago somebody posted on this reflector that  coverage for a
tower depended on the tower being "attached to" the house:  the
"attachment" could be somewhat nominal but had to be more than the
electrical wiring. My insurance agent concurred with that opinion, but
in fact I have never implemented such an "attachment." I had thought of
installing a couple of braces from the raising fixture on my HDX-555 to
the adjacent chimney brickwork, but US Tower recommended against  it.

    It only has to be "attached" - it doesn't have to  be anything
structural. One crank-up owner attached a piece of plumber tape -  the inch or so
wide flat metal with holes in it - to the tower with a hose clamp  and the
other end got nailed to the house. Voila - attached! It was approved by  the
building department.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

PS - My experience has been that the insurance company considers towers,
etc. either as an accessory structure or as personal property. There is a
chapter on insurance in my UP THE TOWER book and Ray, ND8L, an insurance agent
 recently had an article on insurance in QST. Very good info in both
sources.