[TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

Kimo Chun kimo at lava.net
Wed Nov 27 19:55:49 EST 2013

I don't recall the details of what part of my homeowners policy covered my
tower failure around 2000, but they covered all material and estimated labor
costs to rebuild. They also used the part about "damage to the property of
others" to pay my neigbors for the holes my antenna booms made in their
roof. Luckily, my repair with my carpenter brother-in-law only took a couple
hundred in materials (I had to buy a whole roll of paper) which my neighbor
gave back to me and they kept the $300 balance of the check they got.
Perhaps a larger coverage than $500 might be in order....

My tower was in a separate poured base with nothing "attached" to the house.
In my case I also have an "unattached" garage. I don't think that provided
anything to aid my situation but obviously there either is specific language
to cover such things or they are covered generally in some policies. Consult
your agent. In my experience my independent agents were more than happy to
explain "insurance company point of view about coverage". Giving them
scenarios can allow them to investigate "similar experience" within their
represented companies where coverage may be different.

The ex-ham insurance adjuster (no kidding) also said that if it happened
again, they'd pay again. Simple. The one thing, that perhaps goes without
saying, is that my installation was as approved in a stamped plan by local
engineers (as is required here) and I had the building permit in hand. Never
give an insurance company a reason to deny coverage. I've been through that,
too.

73,
Kimo Chun, KH7U