[TowerTalk] Insurance for Tower

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 29 09:37:15 EST 2013

On 11/28/13 7:22 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> On 11/28/2013 11:36 AM, Kenneth Goodwin wrote:
>> Jim has hit the nail on the head.  Another area that all of the major
>> insurance carriers departed from after Hurricane Ike was the Texas coast
>> (one mile from any body of water was the State Farm cancellation
>> policy).  I
>> wouldn't file a claim today unless the entire house was damaged so
>> essentially I am only insured against a total loss.  Even then if you
>> read
>> the details of an insurance policy, the claim rules change significantly.
>> Most of these changes (e.g., change in the deductible for peril against a
>> named storm)
>
> Named Storm:  Does that now mean the new policy of naming winter storms
> removes them as well?

The naming of winter storms is peculiar to "the Weather Channel" as a
marketing strategy.  The National Weather Service/NOAA does not name
winter storms.  Winter storms are not like hurricanes and typhoons which
follow a distinct path, etc.  You'll note that they don't name tornadoes.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/11/branding-winter-weather.html