[TowerTalk] Driving ground rods

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Oct 14 14:49:59 EDT 2013

If anyone is interested in buying a Harbor Freight (inexpensive) demo hammer
don't buy the smallest one.  They don't carry the one I have anymore but
they have a larger one and a smaller one.  I have seen both.  Don't get the
smaller one.  Mine works pretty good and the larger should only work better.
HF does not sell the attachment for driving ground rods.  Searching for a
source on the internet of the ground rod driving attachment I found some
vendors but the prices were mostly over $80 plus shipping. My demo hammer
takes 3/4 inch hex shaped chisels. Buy the cheapest chisel or pointed tool
that will fit your model of demo hammer and cut it in two with the piece
that goes into the tool long enough to stick out of the hammer enough to
mount a piece of tubing to it to keep you from slipping off the  ground rod.

I used a short length of EMT metal conduit but any steel tubing/pipe or ...
should work fine.  You could even duct tape an oversized piece of pipe to
the cut off chisel since the tube doesn't take much force serving only to
keep the driving action centered more or less on the ground rod. I drove my
hex shaped tool a short distance into the tight fittinig EMT and then welded
it but I could have driven it much further on and skipped the welding,

You need to experiment with how much down force to use when running the demo
hammer.  Push too hard with mine and it drives slower.  For most driving I
basically just let the weight of the tool provide the down force while I
balance it and hold it in alignment.

Patrick AF5CK