[TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 29 00:58:24 EDT 2013

Just having returned from our mini-dxpedition to Raivavae (Australs,
French Polynesia) as TX5D I can confirm how loud or "only station on the
band" big high antennas sound.  e.g W6CCP was working Asia/Oceania
*that I couldn't hear* and was S9+10 on a fairly quiet band.  Or the S
meter bending W4? in Florida with a 4L 40m beam at 140'.

OTOH, there must have been some super stations calling us from Europe,
but they didn't stand out from the pileup like these did. But the
disproportionate number of EAs we worked showed how some paths are
really favored.  We were using "verticals on the beach", 500w, and were
reported as "loud" most everywhere.  A direct A-B test of verticals
showed a 2 S unit advantage when within 1/2 wl vs 2 wl of the salt water
lagoon, elevated radials.

Grant KZ1W