[TowerTalk] Tower and antenna decisions

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Oct 29 10:43:52 EDT 2013

> Yes I have seem frequent times when my 50 ft high 10m yagi
> outperforms my 110 ft yagi.

50 vs. 110 feet on 10 meters is really a special case.  At 50'
you're already 1.5 waves above ground - a level that has a nice
broad (ca. 4 to 17 degrees at -6dB) vertical lobe.  At 110 feet
you're 3+ waves above ground three very deep nulls below 35
degrees.  That situation does not appear on any other HF band
with readily achievable tower heights (70/160' on 15 and 110/225'
feet on 20).

There are plenty of times a 35 foot high yagi will beat higher
antennas domestically and to Central America/Caribbean from
here in Florida but on balance high is still better for the real
DX paths.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV