[TowerTalk] Switching Multiple Rotors

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 3 10:01:50 EDT 2013

On 9/3/13 6:43 AM, K0YR - Thomas Rieff wrote:
> T/T
> Any thoughts on how to switch multiple rotors with one set of cabling.
> The towers I wish to switch are 500 feet from the cabin.
> Or is there a better way of wireless remoting???
> Tom, K0YR

You want to use one controller with multiple rotors?
How fast do you need to change between them?

Are you willing to run some extra wire out there (e.g. a 500 foot run of
Cat-5 type phone wire?) or are you trying to reuse wire that you've
already got installed.

Some sort of relay box with multipole relays seems like the best scheme.
  These days, you can get long range bluetooth or WiFi operated relays
off the shelf.  You can propagate the 2.4GHz signal down your HF coax,
if there's too many trees in the way.  Sure, the loss is huge, but it's
a lot less than the 1/r^2 spreading, and it's not like you're worried
about a "good match" for the 2.4GHz.

If you've got power out there at the tower, there's various power line
signalling techniques (X-10).

You can do the RCS-4 scheme of sending AC or either polarity DC down the
wire, but if you have to build anything, I suspect that building/buying
BT or WiFi is comparable, and potentially a LOT more useful in the long
run.