[TowerTalk] Bose 901 antenna theory

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Thu Sep 5 09:05:19 EDT 2013

Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 17:02:20 -0700
From: Jim Brown <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bose 901 antenna theory

On 9/4/2013 2:34 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:
> Bose demands that a special listening room be set up.... with NO other brands of speakers in the same room.

About 20 years ago, they pulled some really unethical stuff on one of my
consulting clients -- held a meeting with the design team for that
client to demonstrate their stuff, insisted that their sound system
consultant (me) could not be present, and had the participants sign NDAs
-- they couldn't even tell anyone that the meeting had happened.

The saying about Bose among audio professionals, "Better sound through
marketing" could be equally applied to a certain ham mic and headphone
company based in Illinois.

73, Jim K9YC

##  agreed. Remember the infamous  Bose... wave radio ??   It’s a  tiny
thing that sits on your kitchen counter top,and has an arc to the plastic casing, etc.
You know the one..they do these stupid 1 hr infomercials  at 2AM  most nights..on several TV channels.

##  I find it amusing that the Bose corporate headquarters building is shaped exactly the same as the
Bose ..wave radio.  The building looks like one big wave radio.

##  What other speaker manufacturer  uses  10-15db of EQ  at both the bottom and top end..just to
get their speakers to sound flat ?   Nobody.   And that’s  exactly what they do on their Flagship
Bose 901..now series 6 speakers.  Pointing 16 tiny speakers  at a gyproc wall, and bouncing the
sound off it is  a class act....and fubar.

later......... Jim  VE7RF