[TowerTalk] Tic Ring

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Wed Sep 11 07:26:47 EDT 2013

Last year I discovered couple of stripped gears on a TIC Ring Rotator
motor turning a very large 20m beam. I had the same problem, TIC had no
replacement parts, specifications or help in obtaining a replacement. I
have a number of TIC motors so I was quite unhappy to hear this. Also TIC
no longer sells the 24v windshield wiper motor inside, however I have a
number of spares. I spent some time learning about spur gears and after
much searching I could not find direct gear replacements. There are places
that will make custom gears but the cost was ridiculous. For one gear, I
purchased gear stock at McMaster Carr and machined it on a lathe and for
another I was able to find something similar, but I had to cut the length
and bore and broach the hole to fit the 10mm motor shaft. I then had the
gears electroplated. It was a lot of work and expense. If you choose to
purchase a new style motor I may be interested in purchasing your old one
for parts.

GL,
John KK9A