[TowerTalk] FW: Custom antenna design

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 17 19:43:57 EDT 2013

On 9/17/13 2:12 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

> Just guessing here, but a coil loaded Moxon might work.  It probably
> wouldn't provide a lot more gain, but if it worked it would have a much
> improved pattern.  Moxons rely on coupling between the folded tips of
> the forward and rear elements, though, so I suspect such an antenna
> would involve a bit of trial and error to optimize it.

there's a whole lot of ways to tackle the challenge.  It's easy to model
a variety of designs, but there are all those intangibles of interaction
with the surroundings that are hard to anticipate.

Trial and Error is more like it.

What about something like a loaded SteppIR on a shortened boom.  At
least that way, the cut and try doesn't involve bringing the antenna
back down to the ground.

Or, a center loaded two element driven array with switchable/remote
controlled L and C for the loading?  Again, the trial and error is fast,
and adjustability means that the tradeoff for small antennas vs
bandwidth is less of an issue.