[TowerTalk] Fulton 2500 winch single or dual speed?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Apr 3 23:57:07 EDT 2014

On 4/3/2014 12:06 PM, jcjacobsen at q.com wrote:
> How do,
>
> Gerald is looking for a new winch for his tower.
>
> Please, be careful that you don't get a winch that has a FREE WHEEL position.

Been there, done that, and had to go to the emergency room to get the
hide put back on the back of my hand.  It was just a glancing blow that
peeled the skin off nearly half the back of my hand from knuckles almost
to the wrist bone.
>   Nothing worse than the winch getting in that mode and having the handle whipping around at a rapid pace,

I'd say getting hit by it rates right up there.

>   not to mention the tower dropping at the same or greater rate. Most marine/boat winches are free wheeling.

Mine has a latch, but I was lowering a mast that wasn't terribly heavy
and had it unhooked. My hand slipped off the handle, but the handle
stopped pointing straight up. I knew better, but it was stationary. Just
as I grabbed, it went around once so fast I couldn't see it move!  Had
it hit square it would have broken a bunch of those small bones.  As it
is I only have a scar that covers about a third of the back of my left hand.

Those winches can be dangerous and it only takes a moment of
inattention  to put you in a lot of pain.

73

Roger (K8RI)