[TowerTalk] Hustler 6-BTV installation

Dan Schaaf dan-schaaf at att.net
Sat Apr 5 14:32:43 EDT 2014

I installed a 6 BTV with 45 radials and needed to adjust the 15 meter trap
calibration. Was easy according to DXE instructions. I found it's
performance to be quite good compared to my HyGain AV-640 which performs
really well. In A/B tests, I saw little difference.

>From things that I have read, the 43 ft vertical has different takeoff angle
depending on band since in some cases it is 1/4 wave long and in other cases
it is not. Whereas the band resonant BTV should be consistent in takeoff
angles for each band since each band is tuned as a 1/4 wave .

I was able to work some long haul DX such as Bangladesh during long path
conditions on 40 CW. The only problem is that on the lower bands like 40 and
80, it has a very narrow bandwidth, so you must pick a band segment of
interest and adjust it's length for that segment.

Ultimately, I built my own vertical which is 69 ft tall and covers 80, 60,
40 meters and 160 with base tuning and a 60 meter trap. 40 meters ends up
being 1/2 wavelength and the other bands are 1/4 wavelength.

Best Regards
Dan Schaaf

K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com