[TowerTalk] Measuring Ferrite

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Apr 12 18:20:09 EDT 2014

That's a great idea, Rick -- if you have access to a test rig with
sufficiently low stray to get accurate data at that frequency and at
that impedance.

W1HIS came up with a simple method to identify a core material is #31 or
#43. Because the bulk resistivity is relatively low, you can measure
between two points on the core with a simple mechanical Ohmeter. The #31
material will show some conductivity, #43 and #61 will not. #77, #78,
and #73 have even lower bulk resistivity, so will show even more
deflection with an Ohmeter. W2DU used #73 for his string of beads common
mode chokes (the W2DU balun). His original designs used hundreds of them
to achieve a high choking Z, but those who sold them cheated, and used a
lot fewer beads, and those chokes could not handle power (because the
choking Z was not high enough).

The resistivity data is in a chart on pages 4 and 5 of the Fair-Rite
catalog (pdf page numbers 6 & 7). .The curves plotting u' and u'' are on
the following pages, one material per page.

73, Jim K9YC