[TowerTalk] Raunchy pics

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Tue Apr 22 10:46:41 EDT 2014

I have a couple domains and the commercial spam filter was snagging
good emails and they were unavailable to me. Asking around I learned
of spambayes, an open source spam filter you train to understand what
you think is spam. It is free from here:
http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

It is similar to artificial intelligence in that it comes brain dead
and you have to tell it what you see each piece of email as. Your
answer will add a "X-header" designator and based on that designator
your email program will filter with it what you wish.

It takes only a few days of training to be 99.9% correct and it uses
all of the information in the raw data to make its evaluation. Once
its trained you leave the training mode and then make corrections on
a rare per-case basis. The advantage is you can (wisely) choose to
keep the rejected emails for your final perusal & then delete & this
way you never lose an email but don't have to see spam in your face
either.

I told my ISP to turn off the filtering and I easily get 100 SPAM a
day but only see 1-2 every month out of that. Some emails form forum
posts like this will be mis-identified 1-2 times a month also but
that's why you keep & use a spam filter so you can salvage the good
emails and then train spambayes that it was a good email.

Lastly, I have been using Pegasus for email since 1995, which is free
and specifically designed to not let trojans & viri into your
computer. http://www.pmail.com/ there is a bit of a learning curve to
it but I wouldn't trade it for any other emailer. I have 5 different
email accounts and each of them forwards to Pegasus and everything
gets filtered as I like into the folder of my choice. Some things I
want to see and when I shut down Pegasus, then those emails go into
their respective folders. Very tidy.

Between Spambayes and Pegasus I never worry about viruses from email
or crap like the "raunchy pics", they all get discovered and routed
to the spam folder And both programs are free.

73,

Gary
KA1J

---