[TowerTalk] KT36 Balun

Michael Tope W4EF at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 11:01:03 EDT 2014

We had the same experience with the 4:1 baluns on the KT34XA and 40M4 at
W6UE. Something on order of twenty years of service with no problems
(with the baluns anyway- 40M4 is another story). I should note that I am
not sure how much full power RTTY that included (mostly SSB/CW I
suspect). In any case, as a 4:1 impedance transformer, the KLM balun
worked fine for us and seems reliable. My only concern with that balun
is how effective it is at preventing feedline radiation compare to a
conventional choke balun. Of course there is no reason why you couldn't
put a know good 1:1 choke balun (like one of the K9YC designs) in series
between the KLM 4:1 balun and the coax.

73, Mike W4EF.................