[TowerTalk] KT36 Balun

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Apr 28 12:38:53 EDT 2014

On 4/28/2014 8:01 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
> My only concern with that balun is how effective it is at preventing
> feedline radiation compare to a conventional choke balun. Of course
> there is no reason why you couldn't put a know good 1:1 choke balun
> (like one of the K9YC designs) in series between the KLM 4:1 balun and
> the coax.

Yes. When I suggested a common mode choke, I did not realize the KT36
needed a 4:1 impedance transformation. That's one of many reasons why I
really object to use of the word "balun" in most of the ways it is used.
If an application needs a transformer, CALL it a transformer. It it
needs a common mode choke, CALL it a common mode choke.

Most "baluns" that do impedance transformation are poor common mode
chokes, so adding a good common mode choke on the coax can reduce
received noise and prevent signal picked up on the coax from filling
nulls in the antenna's pattern.

73, Jim K9YC