[TowerTalk] FW: Balun/Choke power ratings

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 22:30:35 EDT 2014

IMHO - W2FMI's book on baluns (& ununs) offers much insight on the subject
of power ratings associated with different Balun construction - highly
recommended reading.  One may also find some good info on W8JI's web site as
well.

Depending on application, it is apparent that a well-designed balun need not
necessarily to be physically large.   From my limited recollection, for a
well-designed balun, power is generally limited by the dielectric strength
of the insulation and the ohmic heating of the conductors.  If the core is
getting hot - then something is probably wrong with the design.    For some
low impedance high power balun applications, the challenge of close-spaced
windings becomes one of dielectric strength.   Baluns wound with home-made
low impedance coax cable apparently offer some opportunity for advantage
here.  For high impedance high power applications, the challenge of
controlling the stray capacitance associated with the wide spacing may lead
one to consider achieving the transformation in multiple stages using two of
more baluns connected in series.

Hope this helps answer at least part of your question.  Perhaps someone will
chime in with more info on choke baluns.

Matt
KM5VI