[TowerTalk] FW: Balun/Choke power ratings

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Tue Apr 29 04:40:00 EDT 2014

W2FMI's book is heavy on Differential-Mode performance, but says little
about Common-Mode performance; some of what he does say on CM
performance is plain wrong! It's relatively easy to build a choke balun
that will handle high Differential-Mode currents and voltages - _but the
"killer" is the Common-Mode current_.

As Jim already said, for some applications it's almost impossible to
build a choke that will handle QRO. Take, for example, a 1:1 choke at
the feedpoint of a coax-fed resonant 80m dipole that is well balanced;
at 1500W the CM voltage across the balun is a worst-case 137v rms. Now
place the balun at the output of an unbalanced tuner feeding the same
dipole through 600 Ohm open-wire line, and the worst-case voltage across
the choke rises to over 1.6kV rms. The choke dissipation will be 144
times as great !!! A choke with an excellent 10kOhm resistive CM
impedance would be dissipating 270W in that application ..... but not
for long :)

Steve G3TXQ