[TowerTalk] Recommendations for Purchasing a short 2 Element 40 Meter

Dale Drake daleaa1qd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 12:36:16 EDT 2014

I had a recent bad experience with the Cushcraft XM-240.  The present
manufacturer had changed the U channel design from the original when it was
made by the NH company.  The original design ( according to the guy that
actually designed it) used a heat treated aluminum channel but the "new"
design uses a thinner channel formed from sheet in a brake ( not heat
treated).

Mine was of the newer design and the wind ( 40-50MPH gusts from the remnants
of Bob) tore the 1/4" hex head cap screw heads right through the U channel
on one side and left the element dangling.  I called the manufacturer in MS
who said they had never heard of that failure but they sent me a new U
channel for free.  I put large stainless fender washers under the heads of
the 1/4" cap screws this time to spread the stress out more and so far so
good.  If I was to do it over I would replace the less rugged U channel with
something more like the original design.

If you want to see the pics email me directly aa1qd at arrl.net

Also if you plan on 1.5KW AM I would not use the stock balun as it is like
to fail with that much heating from what I've heard from other hams.

Dale
AA1QD