[TowerTalk] rotary or demo hammer for ground rods

Larry lknain at nc.rr.com
Sun Aug 10 18:41:30 EDT 2014

I rented one last Fall for exactly the same thing. It was a Hitachi as I
recall. Not a huge device. For my soil, mostly clay, it was easy - much
easier than I thought it would be. I think it took maybe 30 minutes to do a
dozen 5/8 inch 8 foot rods.

You might look at what the local rental yard might rent you as sort of a
guide.  Don't forget the ground rod adapter.

I did also look at buying one but from recollection (possibly faulty) most
were in the $300-400 range except at Harbor Freight which was less than
$200. I opted to rent one at about $40  day (one day from mid-Saturday to
early Monday morning).

73, Larry  W6NWS