[TowerTalk] combining TV antennas

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Tue Aug 19 21:38:51 EDT 2014

On 8/19/2014 8:21 PM, Dick NY1E wrote:

> Can I use a splitter to combine 2 TV yagis pointed in different
> directions? Does making the feedlines from the spilitter the same
> length matter in this case? Dick NY1E

Sure - A splitter IS a combiner in reverse. No worries about feedline
lengths.

In the analog days, it was preferable to use a combiner with some sort
of frequency tuning depending on the particular channels you were trying
to access. You might use a diplexer, or a single channel inserter, or
multiport single channel filters, etc. The intent being to minimize
multipath interference from 2 antennas aimed in different directions
supplying signal for the same channel.

Digital, though not without issues, is much less prone to ghosting
problems, so simple broadband combiners can work well in many or most cases.

-Steve K8LX