[TowerTalk] Boom Caps?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 23 09:21:20 EDT 2014

On 8/22/2014 1:03 PM, Dan Hearn wrote:

Leave no holes larger than abt 1/8th inch.  The stock drain hole on my
first AV640 was just large enough for paper wasps and  this is the
result: http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AV-640/AV640.htm

They apparently got across the output coax connector while I was running
800 W.  Hy-gain said that's OK on SSB duty cycle, not for digital, RTTY,
or AM.

BTW, This year is for BIG Hornet nests (little suckers with an attitude
and bad disposition that do not like any thing live near their home),
wasps, and Yellow Jackets.  So far about 6 or 7 nests, plus they are
under the concrete and siding in a couple spots.  Not as bad as the year
they got into the AV640. That year the whole neighborhood had nests
under eves, in windows and doors, in trees and bushes.

73

Roger (K8RI)

> You don't want bird nests and wasps inside it so do not leave it open. I
> use small screens in each end. You can make them using a type of screening
> called hardware cloth. A strange name for metal screening material. It can
> be found with openings of 1/4 or less and is hot dip galvanized. Some of my
> screens are 20 years old and are not rusting
>    Cut discs out of it a couple of inches larger than the boom diameter..
> Cut radial slits an inch or so around the OD. Bend the tips in so they will
> slide into the boom ID. It will stay in place. You can find the hardware
> cloth at Home Depot or similar stores
>
> Dan, N5AR

Roger (K8RI)

---