[TowerTalk] Polyphaser IS-RCT eaten

Jim and Hannelore Fisher jim.fisher at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 21 15:32:12 EDT 2014

Thought others might be interested. At my Polyphaser SPOE copper panel, I have had quite a few Polyphaser control line surge protectors as well as coaxial surge protectors. The installation originated in 1999 and was built up over the next few years during the former multi-op contesting days at VE1JF.

I have removed most of my antennas except for 6M EME and am partway through rewiring the control and power wires to my K0XG el-az rotator. Unrelated to those particular wires, and unused since I removed some no-longer-needed ctrol wires, I noticed a pile of powder below my copper panel. Turns out it is the mortal remains of much of my case to an IS-RCT—one end and parts of bottom and sides are turned into a whitish powder.

This has happened since I removed the wires (sold the cables to other hams). The case was fastened to the copper panel by its normal built-in bolt and by a nut on the outside of the SPOE. It is not touching anything else.

The outside of the SPOE is fully enclosed in a wooden structure I call my doghouse. The inside is in my old basement, which is not deliberately heated but does contain our two furnaces. The environment here includes salty air.

Looking with renewed interest at the other units, I found some early limited evidence of a similar development.

I may or may not have coated the intersection with the gold goo when it was installed. Actually, I think the copper panel (which looks green in that area) is contacted by the nut on the control unit side of the SPOE and not by the unit directly. If I should do something to protect the remaining units, I could remove the remaining units long enough and just far enough to coat the intersection.

Jim, VE1JF