[TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Aug 28 14:10:01 EDT 2014

On Thu,8/28/2014 10:38 AM, David Jordan wrote:
> I've had a 259B for many years and it works well and meets my
> expectation. If I wanted to spend $15,000 on an Anritsu analyser.

Nor do you need to. The VNWA, designed by DG8SAQ, a German EE prof, and
built by a ham in the UK, is a small box of electronics that interfaces
via USB to my laptop, is powered from the USB, and goes to 1.3 GHz. It's
a vector network analyzer that also does TDR, by transforming a sweep,
and works as spectrum analyzer. $700 to my door, with calibration loads.

As to build quality -- compare a Ten Tec two-3CX800A7 amp with a
comparable MFJ product.  The difference is night and day. One built in
MS, the other in TN.  The three Titans I own, all bought used, are still
going strong 30+ years after they left the factory.

73, Jim K9YC