[TowerTalk] Servicing an MFJ 259B

David Jordan wa3gin at comcast.net
Thu Aug 28 13:38:30 EDT 2014

Doug,

You are a brave commentator... don't you know it's an old passtime to bash
MFJ and even other vendors like ALPHA, Mosley, Hy-Gain, Cushcraft, etc. get
bashed by some.  I think the bashing occurs from frustrations fed by a lack
of experience and understanding of what it takes to operate a company that
serves a niche market which will not support large profit margins.  In
otherwords, yes, MFJ could certainly build higher quality products but those
same hams that bash MFJ wouldn't buy the more expensive product and they
would whine about the cost!  MFJ could have the gear built in CHINA... then
they get bashed for doing it!
Some operators who don't have much to talk about that is technical or
interesting lean towards bashing because it is so easy to do... sort of like
CNN's breaking news that is continuously breaking and yet it is the same old
garbage....;-)

I've had a 259B for many years and it works well and meets my expectation.
If I wanted to spend $15,000 on an Anritsu analyser. I'm sure I'd love it
but couldn't justify the expense for the few times I would use it to tweak a
dipole or yagi. I'd rather spend the money on a tower and antenna.

73,
dave
wa3gin