[TowerTalk] MFJ repairs

sjim sjim747 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 18:37:18 EDT 2014

My experience over the years has been outstanding dealing with MFJ.

Thanks to them we have low cost antenna analyzers and other products. The
few times I have had an issue their customer service has been highly beyond
expectations!​ . . .In spite of what some disgruntled old curmudgeons might
rant about.

THANKS MFJ!

W5JCS

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV <lists at subich.com> wrote:

> The issue is that customer service costs money.  MFJ have priced
> themselves into a corner ... they can improve quality so their
> products are more reliable and require less service, they can increase
> prices to build in margins to support an appropriately sized service
> operation, or they can simply say up front that the devices are "not
> economically repairable."  In any case it means higher prices and MFJ
> have always been defined by low price not high quality.
>
> If one has well trained, competent and properly equipped technicians
> the "loaded cost" for the labor alone is going to be somewhere between
> $50 and $100 per hour.  With a half-hour just to unpack, open, close,
> and repack a product returned for non-warranty service, it doesn't
> take a lot to run up a repair bill greater than the manufacturing cost
> of a $299 list price antenna analyzer or a $239 list price antenna
> switch controller.
>
> What is the proper balance?  That's up to MFJ and each customer to
> determine for himself.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2014-08-31 5:37 PM, Tom Nicholson wrote:
>
>> Craig,
>>       I would wager that the vast majority of people here would agree
>> with you that MFJ employees, most probably, are all "good guys" and well
>> intended in the pursuit of making available a source of equipment for
>> the Ham Radio community.  Where management has failed is the support
>> "after the sale"! Many fine products have failed as a result of poor or
>> no product support. The lack of support is no reflection on the
>> dedication and expertise of the support personnel, What it is a
>> reflection of is the mismanagement of the support system. This CAN be
>> remedied, BUT maybe at the cost of some management jobs. They need to
>> have the management team address these problems or replace the team. It
>> seems at MFJ it has reached "critical mass" and the statement has to be
>> made:
>>
>>      "You are either part of the solution or you are part of the
>> problem" and make the hard decisions from that point forward.
>>
>>      YMMV, but that has been my experience over the 30+ plus years that
>> I owned a business that was 20% sales and 80% customer service.
>>
>> 73
>> Tom W1ALZ
>>

>> On 8/31/2014 3:34 PM, Craig Clark wrote:
>>
>>> When you bash MFJ, just remember, if it was not for them, we would
>>> have no:
>>>
>>> Hy-Gain
>>> Cushcraft
>>> Ameritron