[TowerTalk] Dipole gain?

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 11:44:02 EST 2014

Steve,

In your unlikely example it would be 15 dB. I think it would not be possible to design an antenna such that the F/R changed by 10 dB in one KHz on the HF bands.

I certainly would not want to see one manufacturer say his antenna had 25 dB of front to rear and then find out after buying it that it had 25 dB at 14.350 and had a linear drop (approx .03 dB per KHz) in F/R as you went down to 14 dB at 14.000 and see another manufacturer's antenna passed up when his quoted number for F/R was pretty consistent at around 20 dB across the band.

The data is not on line now but, for example, 2X Arrays had published gain, F/R, F/B, R, X and SWR numbers every two KHz across the entire band for all three bands on tribanders. This provided a lot of information in order for people to make an informed decision.  As I recall the F/R on a Tribander was over 20 dB at every frequency on every band and varied not more than about a dB at any frequency on any band.  To me that is a whole lot better than the previous example of one that went from 25 dB at a frequency I would likely never operate and not be a lot better than a small two element antenna where I did operate.

The main point is that some manufacturer's provide the highest gain figure that occurs somewhere in the band and that frequency is usually not shown.  Same for F/B.

Because of the confusion and inconsistency in specs, there would be some who would automatically think the pattern of an antenna with a specified F/B of 35 dB would trump an antenna where the specified minimum F/R at every frequency was 20dB.  I would choose the later with no other information provided.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad