[TowerTalk] Dipole gain?

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Thu Dec 11 11:59:48 EST 2014

Stan,

I was trying to highlight a particular issue - that averaging the dB
figures themselves is a pretty meaningless exercise. In my example, the
average rearward power ratio would be 12.6dB not 15dB.

I think it's more meaningful to specify worst case parameters, or better
still best and worst across the band. We tend to do that in the case of
SWR, so why not Gain and other parameters. Quoting an "average" SWR
across a band would tell us nothing useful.

As an earlier poster pointed out, averages can give misleading results;
for example, anyone reading this who has two legs has more than average ;)

Steve G3TXQ